Basketball Legends

Welcome! It seems you are not logged in, please do so or register for this game!
Thanks,

Tigerd98 and the Management

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Basketball Legends

Welcome! It seems you are not logged in, please do so or register for this game!
Thanks,

Tigerd98 and the Management

Basketball Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum based NBA game and a place for Sports Talk!

2 posters

Jeter Out Until All-Star Break

tigerd98
    tigerd98
    Lead Admin
    Lead Admin

Coins : 1016

Jeter Out Until All-Star Break Empty Jeter Out Until All-Star Break

Post by tigerd98 Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:54 am

NEW YORK -- The Yankees will be without Derek Jeter until at least the All-Star break, as the team announced on Thursday that a CT scan revealed a small fracture in the shortstop's surgically repaired left ankle.

Jeter has been slowed by recurring discomfort in recent days, and he traveled to Charlotte, N.C., to be seen by Dr. Robert Anderson, who performed Jeter's initial surgery after his ankle was shattered in last year's American League Championship Series against the Tigers.

"They did a new CT scan, which revealed a small crack in the area of the previous injury," general manager Brian Cashman said. "We have to back off and let that heal. This is obviously a setback."

Cashman said that Anderson does not expect Jeter to need another surgical procedure after he had a metal plate and screws inserted to stabilize his ankle in October. Cashman said the doctor reassured him that "95 percent of the people that have this come back from it fine."

Jeter, 38, had been working out at the Yankees' Minor League complex in Tampa, Fla., but he wasn't able to play in a game since March 23, which followed a spring setback that required a cortisone injection.

"He is obviously the toughest one we've ever had," Cashman said. "You know when Derek Jeter continues to have issues that don't go away, you know that means more than just your typical something."

Manager Joe Girardi said after the club's 6-2 loss to the D-backs that he was disappointed to learn of Jeter's injury.

"It's not what we wanted, that's for sure," Girardi said. "I know it's extremely disappointing for him, because he's so used to being here with us. It's something that we're going to have fight through. Some guys are really going to have to step up in his absence and hopefully we'll get him back sometime after the All-Star break."

Jeter took ground balls and batting practice on Wednesday in Tampa, and Cashman said that Thursday's CT scan -- the third scan that Jeter has had since the surgery -- showed a fracture that was not present in the first two.

"His prior two CT scans showed the healing and 100 percent healing," Cashman said. "He wasn't cleared for baseball activities and he wasn't cleared to play until he had 100 percent healing.

"This is a new fracture, but a small one. I guess that's the only good part, they kept saying the word, 'Small.' It's a setback, so it's not a good situation."

Cashman said that Jeter is taking the negative news "like a pro" and has vowed to be back on a field in four to six weeks. In the meantime, the Yankees must plug on without Jeter in the picture.

"It's tough, but we haven't had him yet," outfielder Brett Gardner said. "When you don't have guys, you can't really count on them to come back. You've just got to make do with what you've got. I feel like we've been playing pretty good baseball so far and we'll try to keep it going."

With Jeter sidelined, Cashman said that the Yankees will continue to field a shortstop tandem of Eduardo Nunez and Jayson Nix.

"We're going to stay as we are. Those guys have done a nice job," Cashman said. "I'm happy with Nixy and I'm happy with Nuney, but I would be happier with Derek."

MLB.com
    shazi453
    shazi453
    Hall Of Fame
    Hall Of Fame

Coins : 101127

Jeter Out Until All-Star Break Empty Re: Jeter Out Until All-Star Break

Post by shazi453 Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:29 am

It would be sad to see him retire. He's the Kobe of MLB!

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:56 pm